Instagram is a social channel that let’s you snap photos (and now video), add creative filters and share them with your followers. The photos can be posted not only on Instagram, but on social channels like Facebook and Twitter too.
Below are some tips from Instagram users for how to effectively use Instagram for business as a tool to build your brand.
Getting Started with Instagram for Business
1. Think before you click. Ask yourself the following questions: What is the purpose for using Instagram? What is the tone and style we want to portray through our images?
2. Become a regular user first. It’s always a good idea to experience Instagram as a regular user so you can see how people are using it. That will provide ideas for tying this platform into other social media marketing efforts.
3. Think about your product. What do you sell or what do you use to sell your services? Without being too promotional, you can get your followers engaging with your product. Instagram is about everyday people taking everyday pictures.
4. Establish a customer profile. Brands can establish their customer profile by carefully monitoring the types of content posted by their followers. For example, a brand noticing that a majority of its followers post images of shoes.
5. Coordinate with social media campaigns. How can you use Instagram in conjunction with your existing Facebook and Twitter activities?
6. Think strategically about your posts. Just because Instagram is a series of visuals doesn’t mean you shouldn’t think strategically about what you should post and when.
7. Choose your handle carefully. When setting up your Instagram account, where possible, use the same username as your Twitter account. So when your content is tagged and shared on Twitter the @username links to your Twitter bio.
Choose the Right Content
8. Show off your products with sneak previews. Clothing companies and even publishers may use Instagram to give “sneak previews” of new additions prior to launch date.
9. Remember that cuteness sells. It is a well-known fact that cute animals with funny quotes are among the category of images most likely to go viral. People like images that create a visceral reaction.
10. Announce new hires, promote your culture. Instragram is a great place to announce new hires, profile your staff and even promote your organization as a trendy, fun place to work.
11. Showcase your customers and service. Virgin America does a great job of giving their followers a taste of the company on Instagram. They showcase their customers and other fun things they are doing to make a person’s in-flight experience more enjoyable.