Metro-North: Newtown Man Jumped to His Death | Katonah NY real estate for sale

Updated, Monday 5 p.m.

An MTA spokesperson confirmed that the man who stepped in front of a northbound train was from Newtown, CT. Authorities do not plan to release the man’s name because the incident is being investigated as a suicide.

The train he stepped in front of was a northbound express from Grand Central due at 9:16 a.m. in Southeast, said Marjorie Anders, MTA spokesperson. The man apparently parked his car on I-684 and then walked to the railroad tracks from there.

The MTA turned the power off on the third rail and sent an extra train to evacuate passengers from the train and handle the service. Passengers were delayed approximately two hours.

First story: A 49-year-old man was struck and killed at approximately just before 9 a.m. Sunday by a northbound Metro-North train near the Goldens Bridge station, said MTA spokesman Sal Arena.

Officials are not yet releasing the man’s name, and the MTA police are on the scene investigating the cause of the accident. The man was on foot when he was struck; not in a vehicle. According to news reports, the MTA is investigating the death as a suicide but has not yet classified the incident as a suicide.

“It’s unclear the circumstances as to what this gentleman was doing on the tracks,” Arena told Patch this morning.

The Lewisboro Ledger cites an “unnamed official” who was at the scene saying the man was from Connecticut, and he parked his car near a power station in between exits 6 and 6A in I-684.

Arena said that approximately 40 people were on the train at the time, and the power was shut down briefly. Trains on the Upper Harlem line were back in service by mid-day.

Phone calls to MTA officials this afternoon were not returned for comment.

Patch will have more information as it becomes available.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.