Katonah NY Real Estate | Homeowner’s Insurance 101

When shopping for home insurance, you should know about the six types of home insurance coverage offered in standard policy:

  1. Coverage A- Dwelling
  2. Coverage B- Other Structures on Your Property
  3. Coverage C- Personal Property/Contents
  4. Coverage D- Loss of Use
  5. Coverage E- Personal Liability Protection
  6. Coverage F- Medical Payments

Dwelling coverage protects against the damage and possible loss of your homes structure in the event of a covered claim such as a hurricane, hail, lightening or fire. (Separate policies are needed for flood and earthquake insurance.) This portion of your policy pays to replace the structural components of your home. Learn more about dwelling coverage.

Other Structures that are protected by a standard home insurance policy are detached garages and other detached buildings on your property. The typical coverage for other structures is 10% of your dwelling coverage-although higher amounts may be purchased if necessary. Learn more about other structures coverage.

Personal Property coverage is included in a standard home insurance policy and protects your personal items and household contents in the event they are stolen or destroyed by fire, hurricane or other peril covered in your policy. These items may include, but are not limited to, furniture, clothing, and sports equipment. Learn more about personal property coverage.

Loss of Use coverage provides for your living expenses in the event that you cannot live in your home due to a covered claim. This type of coverage typically covers hotel and restaurant bills and other living expenses you may incur while your home is being repaired. Learn more about Loss of Use coverage.

Personal Liability Protection covers you in the event that a lawsuit is presented against you or covered family members for bodily injury or property damage. Your pets are also included in this portion of your policy protecting you against bodily harm or property damage that they may cause to others. Learn more about personal liability protection.

Medical Payments coverage (often referred to as MedPay) helps cover medical expenses that you might be held responsible for due to an injury sustained on your property when there is no lawsuit. Learn more about MedPay.

Have other questions about home insurance or how to get started? Visit our FAQ page to see questions that have been posted by our customers. Want to speak with one of our licensed agents? Click to Request a Call here and one of our agents will call you. Or call an agent directly at 1-877-50-MyHome.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.