About: The Bedford Free Library, housed in a white cottage-esque house on the Village Green, began as a little reading room in one corner of what was once the Bedford Academy.
Way back in 1807, under the leadership of Eloise P. Luquer, a small literary coterie in the town rented a single room in that building. They furnished it with a rug, a few chairs and bookcases, marking the beginning of the Bedford Free Library.
Over the years, books began to trickle in from places like the St. Matthew’s Parish Library at the Bedford Post Office and from the State Circulating Library, until the growing collection filled the remainder of the place.
On March 19, 1903, it opened its doors as the Bedford Free Library. It has served town residents since.
Director: Ann Cloonan. Her e-mail address is firstname.lastname@example.org
Hours: The library is open during the following hours:
Summer hours (April through October):
Mon, 10am – 7pm;
Tue – Fri, 10am – 6pm;
Sat, 10am – 2pm;
Winter hours (November through March):
Mon – Fri, 10am – 6pm;
Sat, 10am – 2pm;
Services: The public can use a copier (both regular and color), a fax machine and laminating services for a nominal fee. The use of computers and wireless Internet is free.
Membership: Membership cards are issued to the residents of Bedford Village, free of cost. As an affiliate of the Westchester County Library System, it also serves any card-holding member of the county library system. However, for out-of-towners, there is an annual membership fee of $75 to use full library services.
Bedford Free Library High School Writing Contest – Bedford-Katonah, NY Patch
Leave a reply