Firefighters in and near Bedford were busy on Tuesday battling two house fires in town, both of which were in the Bedford Hills Fire District.
Bedford Hills Fire Chief Joseph Lombardo said that his department responded shortly before midnight Tuesday for a chimney fire, which was at a home at 98 Buxton Road. A firefighter, who arrived in just minutes, observed heavy fire on the roof, Lombardo said, and the fire extended to the attic and roof line.
It took about an hour and a half to get the fire under control, Lombardo recalled. One firefighter was injured due to having fallen on ice, according to the chief.
The fire was caused by a malfunctioning chimney, Lombardo explained. Mutual aid was provided, according to the chief, by fire departments from Katonah, Mount Kisco, Goldens Bridge and Banksville. The Katonah Bedford Hills Volunteer Ambulance Corps (KBHVAC) and Westchester EMS were also on scene, he noted.
The blaze caused the home’s roof to collapse. The home is located at Buxton Gorge Farm, which traces its history to circa 1760. The farm is a short drive away from downtown Bedford Hills.