|Pickle Licious Inspires Winter Cooking with Hearty Recipe;|
4 Rotating Vendors Join Saturday’s Delicious Mamaroneck Market;
Ossining Market Hosts Children’s Storytime & Violin by Rachel Alexander
January 15-21, 2015
|What’s New, In Season, and On Sale This Week|
| Beet & Goat Cheese Ravioli|
Sourced from local farmers
Full Line of Both Gluten-Free &
Regular Breads & Baked Goods
|Mamaroneck Winter Farmers Market|
Please note there is no market scheduled on Saturday, January 24th due to an event at St. Thomas Episcopal Church. We will beOPEN this Saturday, January 17th, so let’s stock up on the delicious foods!
Ossining Winter Farmers Market
Thank you to everyone who visited the new indoor winter farmers market on Opening Day. We had a ball! Here are some of our favorite highlights from the day.
This Saturday, we welcome violin music by Rachel Alexander from 10 am to noon. Also, kids of all ages are invited to gather around for Storytime with Michael Baker and Eimer Mole from 9:30 am to 11:00 am.
Headed to the city? We have markets there, too.
For future events, visit our Down to Earth Markets Event Calendar.
Stay tuned to all market happenings via our Down to Earth Markets Facebook page
and follow us on Instagram and on Twitter @DowntoEarthMkts.
|Fresh Sauerkraut, Turkey Sausage, & Potato Dinner Dish by Pickle Licious|
|Fresh Sauerkraut, Turkey Sausage and Potato Dinner Dish|
This comforting, one-pot meal takes a shortcut with Pickle Licious’ homemade Sauerkraut. Find them this Saturday at the indoor Ossining Winter Farmers Market. YUM.
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil split
- 6 ounces ( 2 links) sweet Italian turkey sausage links sliced
- 3/4 cup 1/2-inch diced red potatoes
- 1 pint (2 cups) of Pickle Licious fresh sauerkraut
- 1 small bulb fennel, quartered, cored and thinly sliced
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons white-wine vinegar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons brown or whole-grain mustard
- Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add sausage and cook, turning often, until lightly browned, about 3 minutes. Transfer the sausage to a cutting board and slice into 1/2-inch pieces. (The sausage will not be thoroughly cooked, but it will continue cooking later.)
- Add the remaining 1 teaspoon oil to the pan and heat over medium heat. Add potatoes and cook, stirring occasionally, for 3 minutes. Add sauerkraut (drained without liquid), sliced fennel, onion, garlic powder, fennel seed and pepper. Cook, stirring often, until the sauerkraut has wilted slightly, about 3 minutes more.
- Add broth, vinegar and mustard. Stir to incorporate the mustard; bring to a simmer. Place the sausage on top of the sauerkraut; cover, reduce heat to medium-low and cook until the sausage is cooked through and the vegetables are tender, 7 to 10 minutes. Stir in chopped fennel fronds and serve.
|Rotating* Vendors This Week|
*Vendors who rotate through various markets during the season.
They enjoy getting to know many communities, and here’s where to find them this week:
Mamaroneck – Saturday, January 17th
French Press Café (freshly-prepared crepes served warm)
Hudson River Apiaries
OM Champagne Tea (Small batch kombucha made with seasonal ingredients)
Ossining – Saturday, January 17th
OM Champagne Tea
Sisters Wicked Good Soap
Taiim Falafel Shack
Wave Hill Breads