Taking on your next painting project? For a flawless finish, avoid these painting mistakes.
1. Skipping the Tape Do you have the skills to get straight lines around the woodwork, windowsills and doorframes? Grab the painter’s tape and get the nice, clean edges you want.
2. Painting Without Primer Primer gives paint a good surface to adhere to and brings out the true color of the shade you’ve chosen. Going without it can lead to poor results.
3. Impatience You took the time to fix every imperfection with patching compound. Wait. Make sure it’s completely dry before you sand and prime. Otherwise, all that patching was a waste of time.
4. Paint Buildup on Pad Edge When using edge pads around ceiling edges and corners, make sure to wipe off excess paint frequently to avoid marking the surface.
5. Brushing When You Should be Rolling For a large interior area, a roller will do a better job in less time. Select the right nap roller for your sheen of paint and try to avoid pushing the roller into the wall when you paint.
6. Underestimating How Much Paint Needed The pros say you need one gallon for every 400 square feet. Plan ahead and you can avoid running back and forth to the store with a paint swatch in your hand.
7. Assuming Walls are Clean Paint looks much better when it has a good, clean surface to stick to. Wash your walls before painting and get professional results you can be proud of. 8. Painting When the Humidity is High When the air is full of moisture, water-based paint takes longer to dry. If the weather winds up more humid than expected, take the day off and wait for a dry day.