Highlights of Annual 2017 Characteristics of New Housing
Of the 795,000 single-family homes completed in 2017:
- 742,000 had air-conditioning.
- 79,000 had two bedrooms or less and 362,000 had four bedrooms or more.
- 30,000 had one and one-half bathrooms or less and 296,000 homes had three or more bathrooms.
- 213,000 had vinyl siding as the primary exterior wall material.
- 204,000 had a full or partial basement.
- 517,000 had a 2-car garage and 48,000 had a 1-car garage.
The median size of a completed single-family house was 2,426 square feet.
Of the 358,000 multifamily units completed in 2017:
- 7,000 had a fireplace.
- 200,000 were in buildings with four floors or more.
- 235,000 were heated using electricity.
- 183,000 had one bathroom.
The median size of multifamily units built for rent was 1,088 square feet, while the median of those built for sale was 1,494 square feet.
Of the 14,000 multifamily buildings completed in 2017:
- 3,000 had 4 floors or more.
- 1,000 had 50 units or more.
- 7,000 were heated by a heat pump.
- 12,000 had wood framing.
Of the 613,000 single-family homes sold in 2017:
- 544,000 were detached homes and 68,000 were attached homes.
- 370,000 had a forced-air furnace
- 131,000 had a garage for 3 cars or more.
- 149,000 had vinyl siding as the primary exterior wall material.
- 556,000 had wood framing.
The median sales price of new single-family homes sold in 2017 was $323,100, while the average sales price was $384,900.
The median size of a new single-family home sold was 2,457 square feet.
116,000 contractor-built single-family homes were started in 2017.
The median contract price was $271,100.