Yesterday Facebook celebrated the one year anniversary of one of its most important product launches, the Like Button. A year ago, Facebook unvieled the Like Button at their f8 conference, marking the true extention of the Facebook platform to third-party websites.
To commemorate the one year anniversary of the Like Button Facebook released some interesting data about the button’s usage in its first year.
5 Facebook Like Button Usage Statistics
1. 10,000 websites integrate with Facebook each day
2. More than 2.5 million websites have integrated with Facebook (including more than 80 of comScore’s U.S. Top 100 websites and over half of comScore’s Global Top 100 websites)
3. Over half of the 25 fastest growing comScore U.S. retail sites use Facebook
4. Media sites that adopt the Like button average a greater than 300% increase in referral traffic from Facebook
5. Every month, more than 250 million people engage with Facebook on external websites
Did You Catch That Last Stat?
While all of the above statistics are impressive, the last one should send a clear signal to marketers. With more than 250 million people enaging with Facebook from other websites, it is clear that Facebook has quickly colonized information sharing and social interaction on the Web. This also illustrates the importance for business to add social plugins such as the Like Button to make their website and blog more social.
Whether you are a B2C or B2B marketer, you need to understand the evolving social Web. Today, people want to be able to easily share information with one another. Tools such as the Like Button act as friction reducers to enable content from a business blog or website to be more social. Yes, Facebook matters but it matters far beyond Facebook.com. When looking at your social media strategy, be sure to make your Web properties more social.Read more: http://blog.hubspot.com/blog/tabid/6307/bid/12393/Facebook-s-Like-Button-Turns-One-Usage-Data.aspx#ixzz1KHghYy4g